GSM 2015 July Pictured Rocks MI - Day 2
Dec 6, 2015Public
Photo: The Munising Front Range Light and its matching Munising Rear Range Light replaced the ineffective Grand Island East Channel Light in 1905. These two lights combine to guide boats from the open waters of Lake Superior down the East Channel next to Grand Island into the harbor of Munising.
Photo: The Front Range Light is located at the western edge of Munising north of M-28. At this time, the light is managed by the National Park Service, the grounds are open to visitors, but the tower is closed.
Photo: A whimsical outdoor sclupture near Muninsing Falls.
Photo: As you can see from this interior view, the nest is made of laths.
Photo: We started the day with a walk along Sand Point Marsh Trail, an elevated half-mile trail mostly over boardwalk.
Photo:
Photo: The Marsh Trail boardwalk leads us to this interesting wetland area.
Photo: Interpretive exhibits relate the rich natural and cultural heritage of the area.
Photo: Wild rose
Photo:
Photo: Old beach ridges, an active beaver colony, white cedar and black spruce swamp communities dominate the scene.
Photo: Ancient dry ridge beaches with wet swales between them support a patchwork of diverse plant and animal associations.
Photo: The trail was constructed by members of the Youth Conservation Corps and other staff of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore diring the summer of 1989.
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo:
Photo: