Tablesaw Station
Oct 25, 2009Public
Photo: I picked up a Unisaw, and have been struggling with whether or not to keep my old Contractor's Saw. In the end, I decided to keep both. To save room, I'm going to mount both of them on a single mobile base...
Photo: I copied the Delta design as it is simple and plenty strong. I picked up the iron and got to work...
Photo: It's mostly square, damned heavy and far from pretty. But it ain't gonna fall apart...
Photo: It's looking better already...
Photo:
Photo:
Photo: Looking better still with a couple coats of semi-gloss.
Photo:
Photo: I ordered the hardware from Delta and put it all together. Notice I welded the foot levers together. Due to the weight, I thought it best to lift with both at the same time rather than independently...
Photo: The Unisaw came with a 52" Beismeyer fence and extension table. I removed those and set it on blocks to roll the new base under it.
Photo: Sitting snuggly in it's new home...
Photo: Now it's time to start the cabinet for the Contractor's saw to sit on. 3/4" ply with a few drawers, dust collection and power disconnects...
Photo: The top left slot will be home to the disconnect switches...
Photo: Faceframes added...
Photo: The open slot above the right side drawer will probably just have a false front to hide the DC. I was hoping for maybe a small drawer, but there's not a lot of useable room there...
Photo:
Photo: Installing the disconnect switches...
Photo:
Photo: I knew I was going to need some way to level & align the contractor's saw to the Uni, so I installed 5/16" threaded inserts so I can easily adjust it when the time comes. The big square hole is for the dust collection, btw...
Photo: The big move...
Photo: The alignment bolts sure made it easy to get the saws on the same plane. The contractor's saw originally had stamped steel extension wings. I replaced those with cast iron...
Photo: Installing the Beismeyer fence rails...
Photo: I had to modify the rails (both front & back) to make room for the miter slots on the Contractor's Saw. 20 minutes with a 4" grinder and a Dremel tool and it "almost" looks like a factory job...
Photo: