Polo Grounds Shuttle - The 9th Ave El in the Bronx On August 31, 1958, the IRT Polo Grounds Suttle service ended on the remaining section of the 9th Ave El between 155th St station in Manhattan at the Polo Grounds and the 167th St station on the Jerome Ave line in the Bronx. The Jerome-Anderson Ave, Sedgwick Ave and 155th St stations were closed along with the former Putnam RR Bridge across the Harlem River, which was the last of the steam operated Harlem River swing bridges. The Polo Grounds shuttle was reduced to single track operation after May 29th, 1958. The 155th St station structure, the Harlem River bridge and the connection to the Jerome Ave Line remained unused until 1962, when it was demolished except for the tunnel, which was sealed and the stub at 162nd St.
Wait while more content is being loaded