The Super Worm-Gear Drive
Feb 12, 2013Public
Photo: Super Worm-Gear complete, showing one side where I dual-extruded our Mad Mare logo on one side for extra style-points!
Photo: A second angle of the completed Super Worm-Gear, showing the front and sides with ServoCities .770 connector patterns on two sides for connecting other attachments
Photo: These are the components of a regular Worm Gear Drive that you can get from ServoCity (de-constructed)
Photo: These are the components of my Super Worm-Gear Drive, with 3D-printed components, the original Worm Gear components (minus the black platform bits) and some extra bits I purchased to lock the worm-gear itself into place better.
Photo: Step 1 of the construction, which shows the 3/16" shafts, aluminum bearings and some ball bearings that you cant see. This shaft goes inside of the worm-gear, and prevents the worm from bowing outwards under high-load (which happens with the original worm-gear, and why I had to design a better enclosure).
Photo: Step 2 of the installation, showing the 3/8" ball bearing on the bottom the wall/bottom connection bolts (3" long!).
Photo: Step 3 of the installation, showing the motor and worm-gear fixed onto the super-worm platform. Note here you can see how the alignment shaft prevents the worm gear from moving side to side, while still being able to rotate With the worm gear to reduce friction.
Photo: Step 4 - Here I've connected the motor-cap to the back-plate with flat-head wood screws (I wanted the back of the motor cap to be pristine).
Photo: Step 5 of the installation showing both walls connected to the base.
Photo: Step 6 of the installation, here you can see main drive shaft with my own 3D-printed cog that mates with the worm-gear (making the Cog in Blender so I could 3D print it first, then CNC an aluminum one, was the hardest part of the 3D modelling design). I also added two aluminum set-screw collars. These hold the shaft in place inside the super-worm, so only the business-end of the shaft extrudes outwards. You can also get 4"+ long shafts if needed!
Photo: Step 7 of the installation showing the drive shaft inserted into the mix!
Photo: The top-plate with the connecting screws for the worm-gear motor. Here I used a #6 nut and washer to make up the distance between the worm-gear mount (That little black plate connected to the front of the motor) and my 3D-printed plates.
Photo: Here a top-view of the completed Super Worm, now ready for deployment!
Photo: A blender-view of my baby - one of the hardest models I've made to date. I made this By-Hand, every single pixel, using only a ruler with the stock Cog from ServoCity to measure the distances. Took about 5 test-tries once done to get it Just Right.
Photo: One of the 3D walls of the super-worm, just showing some of the Blender work I did (also as proof-positive that I did it!).
Photo: Here another Blender shot of all the different Wall combinations I made of the front and back. This allows me to print which-ever walls I need for a given task, some with Mad Mare logo's and others with lots of attachment points. :) These are all hand-made, took some time to get them right!